Telerik has claimed in a webinars that i attended, the product is seeing a rapid growth this year and is destined to become even more desirable after the R1 release for 2012, which includes exploratory testing, enhanced integration with TeamPulse (Telerik's agile management tool), bug reporting, and load testing.
With TestStudio for iOS Telerik has set in to compete with likes of Selenium, froglogic Squish and others which in addition to core testing functions also provide support for iOS UI testing and not to forget FoneMonkey (now renamed to "Money Talk") that is exclusively designed for UI Testing of Mobile Platforms and offers a QaaS (Quality As A Service).
Test Studio For iOS Features
Platforms and applications
- One solution for providing native automated testing for apps on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- It can test native apps, hybrid mobile apps and browser-based applications running on iOS devices.
- Test Studio for iOS supports development platforms that can help you build iOS apps like MonoTouch, PhoneGap, XCode.
Test case recording
- No need to jail break your phone, just download, install and you are ready for automated GUI testing of iOS apps.
- It offers object based recording which is much more flexible and reliable with respect to the changes in the UI during the development cycle of the application.
- Provides smart verification methods.
- It provides support for all iOS controls, even the smaller ones can be recoded with zoom-in facility.
- Testing can be done on actual devices as well as simulator provided by the tool.
Test case execution
- Provides flexibility to execute the recorded tests offline. No Wi-Fi required. Record, run, edit, and manage your tests from anywhere.
- Tests can be deployed and synched across various devices.
- No tethering required. Testing is completely independent of the development environment. Create applications, deploy to a device and hand the device off to testers to carry out testing.
- Portability of test scripts across different iOS device types. Record tests for your app on the iPod touch, play them back on your app running in the latest iPad.
- Just one static library is required to work with the tool.
Above and beyond testing
- During testing, testers can attach a snapshot of the test step and mail their observations/comments to anybody, say developer if the test is failing at a particular juncture
While understandably the product in beta has declared known issues which Telerik is working on, the future release comes with interesting features that include
- Fluent interface – eg Cucumber or .BDT style grammars
- Edit locators – For more flexibility
- Lists of tests – Grouping of tests based on certain criteria
- Test modularity – In line with the principle of re-usability
While the stakes are high and competition is heating up you have the opportunity to get delivered what you expect from the tool by giving your feedback commenting on the post so that we can route it to the appropriate destination.